schneider+schumacher were selected to renovate the exhibition building (1908, by Joseph Maria Olbrich) located on the Mathildenhöhe in Darmstadt as part of a public procurement procedure. The building forms part of a worldwide unsurpassed ensemble of listed Art Nouveau structures. It was there that various exhibitions showing work of the Darmstadt artists’ colony were held, from the start of the 20th century until the outbreak of World War 1.
The aim of the forthcoming general overhaul, alongside producing savings in future running costs, is to facilitate essentially flexible exhibition concepts that employ contemporary exhibition technology and which conform to the demands of the listed building authorities.
The integrated planning approach is funded by the German Federal Environmental Foundation (DBU). In addition to providing funding for increasing energy-efficiency in buildings, the DBU also supports the preservation of cultural heritage where it is considered to conform to best-practice, resource-efficient refurbishment. This encompasses not only active components such as modern and efficient technical systems that contribute to energy-saving, but also passive building components such as insulation systems, innovative building materials or passive-energy concepts. The present redevelopment plan for the exhibition halls on the Mathildenhöhe in Darmstadt addresses these aspects in an exemplary manner.
Technical details:Typology: Cultural buildings, Listed buildings
Procurement documentation: Freelance services procurement procedure (VOF)
Service phases (HOAI): 1-8
Client: Stadt Darmstadt / Institut Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt