Back in 2014, Mathildenhöhe in Darmstadt made it onto the UNESCO proposal list – now it has officially been given World Heritage status. The 44th session of the UNESCO World Heritage Committee met online during the latter half of July and decided that the Mathildenhöhe site must be permanently preserved, and its significance made tangible for future generations.
The Mathildenhöhe was laid out in the 19th century as the garden of the grand ducal court. It includes the Russian Chapel, the Wedding Tower, the exhibition building, the Ernst Ludwig House, the plane tree grove as well as artists’ houses, pavilions, sculptures and external areas. Since 2012, schneider+schumacher has been responsible for the general refurbishment of the exhibition building. They approach is to offer flexible concepts for exhibitions, by employing state-of-the-art technology while at the same time making operating costs savings. This all has to be achieved while carefully preserving the building from 1908, built to plans by Joseph Maria Olbrich. From 2022 onwards, changing exhibitions of supra-regional importance will once again be on display here.
As Astrid Wuttke, partner at schneider+schumacher puts it: “Our credo is to approach buildings with both respect and boldness. In transforming the exhibition building, we are not only concerned with preserving the existing building, but are also remodelling it for the future. We are delighted and proud that we can help to contribute to the protection of this newly designated World Heritage Site.”